How to Become a Process Server in Michigan

Michigan doesn’t require a license to become a process server. Any “legally competent” adult may serve civil process:

Rule 2.103 Process; Who may serve

Service Generally.

Process in civil actions may be served by any legally competent adult who is not a party or an officer of a corporate party.

Service Requiring Seizure of Property.

A writ of restitution or process requiring the seizure or attachment of property may only be served by

  • a sheriff or deputy sheriff, or a bailiff or court officer appointed by the court for that purpose,
  • an officer of the Department of State Police in an action in which the state is a party, or
  • a police officer of an incorporated city or village in an action in which the city or village is a party. A writ of garnishment may be served by any person authorized by subrule (A).

Service in a Governmental Institution.

If personal service of process is to be made on a person in a governmental institution, hospital, or home, service must be made by the person in charge of the institution or by someone designated by that person.

Process Requiring Arrest.

Process in civil proceedings requiring the arrest of a person may be served only by a sheriff, deputy sheriff, or police officer, or by a court officer appointed by the court for that purpose.

For more information, see the Michigan Court Officer, Deputy Sheriff, and Process Servers Association website.