If you’ve been following along for a while, then you know I recommend every process server build a website to promote their business.
The benefits are clear:
- Even when you take a day off, your website is up and running 24/7 and available to potential clients.
- It’s not expensive, with monthly hosting plans for about the price of a fancy cup of coffee.
- A website is not only cheap but easier than ever to make, even if you’re not a designer or don’t know a thing about writing code.
I’ve created this page to show you how simple it is to build an attractive website with WordPress—a free, open-source program that powers nearly 1 in 4 websites on the Internet, including this one.
Step 1: Host Your Website
Before you can build your website, you need a place to host it on the Internet. Every website, big and small, is hosted on a server that allows it to be accessed 24/7 by anyone with an Internet connection.
But don’t worry, you won’t have to handle any of the technical details. Your hosting provider will handle the heavy lifting so you can focus on building a great website.
There are thousands of hosting companies to choose from, but I use SiteGround.
They’ve been around since 2004 and provide the best service in the industry at affordable prices.
Here’s how it works:
- Go to SiteGround.com and sign up for a hosting package. Plans start at $3.95/month and you can register a domain name (e.g. yourcompany.com) if you don’t already have one.
- Follow their simple instructions to install WordPress with just a click.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and begin customizing your website with thousands of free themes and plugins.
- Add custom pages, blog posts, and more from the WordPress dashboard, without touching a single line of code!
Step 2: Customize Your Website
As soon as you activate your hosting account and install WordPress you can customize your site with thousands of free themes and plugins.
From your WordPress dashboard, preview themes until you find one you like and then click “Install” followed by “Activate” to install the theme on your website.
A few things to keep in mind:
- I recommend choosing a simple, clean theme, especially if you’re new to building websites. Fancy themes with cluttered features are not always needed or the best option.
- It’s important to be sure the theme you select is mobile responsive. This means it will automatically adjust to fit any size screen and look great on mobile devices. Most of the themes developed in the last few years are responsive.
- Structure your website to highlight useful information to potential clients. You should have an “About” page with information about your business, a “Services” page with a list of your services and current rates, and a “Contact” page with your phone number and email address.
To create a new page from your WordPress Dashboard, navigate to PAGES » ADD NEW, add a page title, and click UPDATE.
By default, WordPress will format your website as a blog, with new posts appearing on the homepage. If you want to set one of your new pages as the homepage, you can do so from the SETTINGS » READING screen of the WordPress Dashboard.
For more information on customizing your website and getting the most from WordPress, check out the free lessons prepared by the WordPress team.